The Old Swiss House, built in 1859, is located near the Lion Monument, in the very centre of the City of Lucerne. Its handsome half-timbered façade makes it one of the most photographed attractions of the area. It is truly a landmark of Lucerne.
The second floor of the Old Swiss House served as living quarters for the Buholzer family until 1967. Since then, the upstairs has been turned into traditional banqueting rooms for private parties and family gatherings. Most of the interior decorations date back to the 17th century. The establishment’s antique glassware, hand-carved wall panels, solid oak doors with carved inlays, genuine Sheffield silverware and items of old pewter are much admired by our guests. The stained-glass windows sporting heraldic panes date back to 1575. The many beautiful oil paintings throughout the premises are all originals by famous artists. The establishment’s pride-and-joy, however, is a craftsman-built, porcelain-tiled stove, dated 1636 and initialled by Daniel Pfau.